A Program Instructor must:
- Be a student at Truman State University;
- Attend a “Recruitment Meeting” (look for a sign to be posted in the lobby at the Student Recreation Center; we do not accept online applications);
- Program Instructors are not required to be certified upon hiring unless you’re going to teach a name brand class such as Zumba, Turbo Kick, PiYo, etc. (Note: Applicants go through a competitive hiring process, so those who are more qualified may have an advantage over those who are not certified);
- Go through the interview process; and
- Be hired by the Student Recreation Center.
- If you wish to get your group exercise certification, it’s strongly recommended that you go through a nationally recognized organization that’s accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). For example, the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), American Council on Exercise (ACE), etc.
- If you wish to get your yoga certification, the gold standard is Yoga Alliance. Other organizations include YogaFit and PiYo.
If you have any questions, contact the Fitness-Wellness Director at 660-785-7739.